Friday, July 23, 2010

real life frogger


Survived the 16 hour flight to Delhi! I'm on day 2/3 of Delhi.

I just checked into the Corus hotel where I'll be staying for the next two nights. Can't say I'm all that impressed so far. Its by no means bad, but after the last couple nights at Yogi's, this doesnt feel as comfy.

Yogi is a woman from couchsurfing.com who let me stay at her place for my first two nights. She was incredibly hospitable and welcoming. She lives in a southern suburb of Delhi in a 3BR/3 bath flat she owns with her 3 (fat and sometimes ferocious) dogs. I was welcomed with open arms, delicious food, and my own room. From what I can tell, she does quite well for herself (owns a small company, brand new jeep, huge flat, a few people who tend to the cleaning, cooking, security, etc). It was interesting to stay at this nice place where in the mornings I'd stand out on the balcony and watch men and women do construction without shoes (or flip flops) and little more equipment than a piece of plastic used as a shovel. Heres a pic (or i at least hope that it uploads.) I cant really tell why she is doing what shes doing. Sure, the dirt needs to be sifted. By why thrown through the screen? why is it vertical? why not have it horizontal from the ground and speed up the process? I was going to try and use my hindi phrasebook to ask the young cleaning woman (who i dont think has ever seen a chinese chick before because she was quite fascinated by me), but there was lots lost in translation.

Alrighty, its lunch time and I'm in Delhi, so lets get to speed recapping...

- Breakfast with Yogi of juice and grilled sandwich with this spiced cheese with onions
- just so i remember, Yogi lives by Prahlud Pur and Lalkuan
- Got dropped off down the hill from the Bahai Lotus Temple. walked right by the entrance but a tuk tuk driver walked me to the entrance
- Temple architecture was awe inspiring. the inside, while serene was a bit more austere than i was expected. after walking through the info center, aside from knowing there are lovely Bahai temples throughout the world, i still had no idea what the Bahai faith is all about aside from worshipping a god and believing that men and women are completely equal.
- Next the tuk tuk driver that showed me the way waited for me at the gate. I negotiated a price (70 Rs) for a ride over to Lodi Garden, which was what Yogi told me would be the max. oops perhaps i should work on my negotiating skillz.
- The tuk tuk driver "kindly" offered to take me to Delhi Haat so I could shop. Walk in and realize its a tourist trap and am instantly bombarded with people trying to help me. I initially pretended I was part of a group of Thai women, but they were loving seeing all the stuff, so I ran away from the land of overstimulation
- i loved Lodi Garden. beautiful park in the middle of the city with an old tomb in the center. lots of cute happy couples in love strolling (and necking:0). As i was journaling by the water, i was attacked by two women. ok not attacked, but before i could even understand what was going on they were putting "henna" (pretty sure it was just mud) on my arms. saying no didnt do anything. Then they demanded 100 Rs, actually this little 2 year old asked for money. it was a bit much for me. I gave them 5 rupees and ran off. Gotta get my city thinking back.

yikes... this is not speed updating... hyperupdating
- from there walked over to Khan Market -- upscale shopping
- made the stupid decision to walk to Humanyuns Tomb. it was far. and involved walked under a giant overpass.
- but i did get to be the frog in frogger. at the beginners level. Delhi-ites are at in the pros
- Humanyuns Tomb was truly spectacular. Id def go again on another trip.
- Exhausted, but decided to check out Qutb Minar. tallest tower in india (i think). was nice but at that point i was completely overstimulated, jetlagged and needed a shower.
- got a tuk tuk back to Yogis place (with another stopover at a "great shopping mall"). Im positive I gave the tuk tuk driver way too much money. I did this mornining as well even though Yogi arranged it so that the driver actually used the meter. But I decided yesterday that i dont mind over paying for the tuk tuk. i was in those things for 30 minutes and i would "overpay" at 100 rs -- $2.21! i know it just perpetuates the fleecing of tourists, but really, I cant haggle over 50 cents when Im already getting a huge deal.
- I have no idea how I found Yogis place, as she told me to get dropped off a few blocks away to save lots of rupees. I hope the travel gods stay with me!
- after returning from work, Yogi made dinner of rice, chole (chick peas with cinnamon and i think cumin?), some potatoes and green peppers. delicious with a nice kick of spice
- Jet lag sleeping sucks
- this morning was fairly uneventful, aside from two of Yogis dogs almost attacking me. i was coming back inside and they started growling. me = run fast to the porch and shut them in. Phew. it was a bit scary.

ok enough sitting in front of a computer (although the email addict in me was a bit bummed to have so few emails to read ;) ). Off to find lunch!

2 comments:

  1. noice picture.

    btw, now that you and GG are gone, I don't have anybody to wind up here. sucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bert, you should take applications for a replcement. Does she have to be Chinese? Is this some sort of deep-seeded Korean thing that you like to rile up Chinese? ;)

    ReplyDelete