Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm curvaceous, go steady

The title of this post is my new motto/phrase/whatever. Its also a sign on the way from Manali to Leh! The signs were FANTASTIC!

cutting mountains, but joining hearts
If youre married, divorce speed
Better to be mr late, than late mr
stop gossiping, let him drive
dont be a gama in the land of the llamma (<-- whatas a gama??)

The jeep ride from Manali to Leh was quite an adventure. All the things i had read about it described as a long, curvy, bumpy journey but breathtaking. Boy were they right!

First off, our driver, Nihal, was ABSOLUTELY amazing. I trusted him with my life -- LITERALLY. So if anyone needs a jeep ride from Manali to whereever, or a trekking guide, let me know and I'll send along his info.

Heres a map showing the journey -- AND ALTITUDE! Point of reference, Mt Rainier summit is 14,411ft/4,392.5 m.


Some highlights of the trip:
-- suppose to leave Manali at 9am, but instead we had to leave at 630am! (only found out by Matt coming to find me in the hallway of my hotel in my PJs (couldnt sleep). gotta love cell phone free time). The early departure was because the army closes the road to clear all the rocks from the avalanches -- WAIT what??
-- Main road is backed up so Nihal takes another way which entails going over a TINY bridge
-- A giant boulder rock came tumbling down and almost hit a guy
-- rest of the drive was VERY bumpy and windy.
-- But absolutely fantastic company. I feel really fortunate that it all worked out getting a jeep with this group
-- Brits love finding out about growlers...
-- Left Keylong at 530am!
-- Soon thereafter, traffic is stopped because of what is basically a GIANT STREAM in the middle of the road (stupid rain). We have to get out of the jeep and hobble over rocks and jump over the water to safety. phew! There was another larger ravine thing later in the trip. I stayed in the jeep (i trusted the driver more than me! The 3 women who werent in the jeep just barely made the leap)

-- Saw a couple over turned gas tankers. Really puts things into perspective. makes me wonder if me being able to go up to Leh is really worth the harm it causes
-- People actually make the trip on foot cycles. WTF?!?!?!
-- High altitude has the same effects as laughing gas. I laughed for hours which when the air is so thin, also means you borderline faint
-- Passed over the 2nd highest pass in the world! The first highest is on the other side of Leh. I think im going to go over there in September
-- Altitude sickness aint anything to f with
-- the small villages/bay of tents along the way are wonderful

The journey really was really full of the most beautiful scenery Ill ever see. That said, I'm never making that jeep journey again :)

Trying to figure out what to do in September. Thinking Leh -> Shrinigar (houseboat -- WOHOO! Kashmir? hmm... ) --> Dharmsala --> Delhi. But not sure if i can fit it all in. it might involve flying.

ok im out... More on Leh later. But let me tell you. wow. i might never leave.

1 comment:

  1. According to wikipedia, Vasco de Gama was the first European to sail to India. Not sure how it relates.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete