Thursday, August 19, 2010

behind again!

Keeping a blog is hard and expensive -- ok well expensive by Indian standards, Rs 90 per hour here in Leh and thats for using a computer run off a diesel generator. Speaking of, a couple days ago when I was at an internet cafe, an older german couple started complaining about how it was ridiculous to be charging so much for such slow internet. Bitch Jen couldnt handle their complete ignorance. Me: You do realize there was a GIANT natural disaster that just struck Leh 7 days ago leaving almost 200 people dead, hundreds still missing, and Leh with electricity for only a few hours at night. This poor man's (pointing at the shop owner) entire tourist season is COMPLETELY ruined. So instead of being unappreciative brats, you should be thanking the man for keeping his shop open and providing you spoiled lot with some connection to the outside world. \rant Then when my friend Laurel came in, I in fine Seattle-ite passive aggressive fashion, said loudly, "Laurel, the internet is very slow today, but I know you are a compassionate person who appreciates any internet connection that could be provided to you." Stupid tourists...

I didnt get around to writing more about Takmachik (chik means 1 and I think takma means standing/place/medal or something). All I've written about is the worry. We ended up staying in T-chik for extra days as 5+ bridges were out between Takmachik and Leh. Plus, we had no way of communicating with anyone outside of the village. It was a bit scary to 1 feel so isolated and 2 realize im completely dependent on technology.

Im glad we ended up staying there longer. It helped me deal with the trauma of having run for my life. We also got to help them in the recovery process by digging canals. I did the canal digging for one day and helped to get water running back into the village! The rest of my time was spent pumping water, doing dishes for my ama-le, helping cook, chuli, pumping water, chuli, chuli, falling in love with the villagers, and pumping water. Did I mention I pumped gallons and gallons and gallons of water. When it takes all your energy to pump a couple gallons of water, it really makes you realize how precious it is. I learned to "shower" using about a gallon of water.

I have so much more to say about Takmachik, the people, the landscape, what I learned there, and how incredibly fortunate I feel. But, alas, I have to go pick up the salwar kameez I had made(it costs Rs150 to be made -- $3!) then off to our final dinner in Leh. Tomorrow we are off to Likir for 9+ days, where Ill be at a homestay by myself!

Next adventure, here i come! Lets just leave out the near death experiences, k? Thx!

Jullay!

1 comment:

  1. really glad to hear that you're okay jen! sounds like a totally crazy (and sad and uplifting?) experience. i have to ask, what did the german couple say back? (tho, i know how slow internet can be, so you can save the story if you wish ;-) hope the next leg is not as treacherous...

    ReplyDelete